refers to all the historical and geographical facts of the city of
Margao. Margao city located in Goa is known to be the commercial
capital of the state. Margao also known as Madgaon is one of the
oldest cities of Goa. Margao has a rich history to boast about. During
the pre-independence period ancient Margao was known to be the temple
town of th country. Much before the Portuguese colonizers settled down
in this part of the country this region was home to innumerable
temples. From the time the Portuguese settlers strengthened their base
in Margao most of the Hindu temples were destroyed. Christianity was
propagated and a multitude of churches were established.
Old Goa was
the erstwhile capital of the Portuguese dominions in Goa. Before the
arrival of the Portuguese on the Goan shores, Old Goa was the regal
capital of Sultan Adil Shah of Bijapur. After defeating the armies of
the Sultan, the Portuguese led by Alfonso de Albuquerque started
building their empire around Old Goa.
As the epicenter of Portuguese territory, Old Goa witnessed the
profusion of magnificent churches and majestic buildings befitting the
stature of the city. During its halcyon days, Old Goa became famous as
the "Lisbon of the East." But soon recurring outbreaks of epidemics
like cholera and malaria made the city highly inhospitable and the
Portuguese moved their capital to Panaji in 1843.
Dabolim Airport is 28
kms from Margao and is well connected with all major cities of
All Railway Stations
like Margao, Panjim, Vasco etc are well connected to all major
states & cities of India.
Goa has a good network
of roads and it is well connected to all nearby states.
The Largo de Igreja in
The Largo de Igreja, or the Church of the Holy Spirit as it is also
known, dominates the entrance to the city, just north of the Municipal
Garden square. The church area is surrounded by beautiful old
residential houses still in pristine condition. The church was built
by the Portuguese in 1675 and is one of the finest examples of
late-Baroque architecture in Goa, boasting a pristine white façade and
an interior dripping with gilt crystal and stucco.
The famous "House of Seven Gables" or "Sat Burzam Ghor" in Margao
The famous "House of Seven Gables" or "Sat Burzam Ghor" is a
magnificent mansion was commissioned in 1790 by Sebastino da Silva,
emissary and private secretary of the Portuguese Viceroy. There are
only 3 gables exist now.
Basilica of Bom Jesus in
A must-have on the Old Goa tour, the Basilica of Bom Jesus church is
dedicated to Infant Jesus. An epitome of Baroque architecture, this
church has been declared a World Heritage Monument. Basilica of Bom
Jesus enshrines the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier, the patron
saint of Goa. On the occasion of 'Exposition,' held once in a decade,
St. Francis Xavier's body is displayed for the public.
Se Cathedral in Old Goa
One of the largest churches in Asia, the Se Cathedral was dedicated to
St. Catherine of Alexandria since the Portuguese led by Alfonso de
Albuquerque conquered Goa on the St. Catherine's day (November 25) in
1510. The church contains the Golden Bell used during the infamous Goa
Archaeological Museum in Old Goa
The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) set up the Archaeological
Museum in the abandoned Convent of St. Francis of Assisi. The 8
galleries of the Archaeological Museum in Old Goa display portraits
and sculptures from the prehistoric to the late mediaeval period.
Viceroy's Arch in Old Goa
The Viceroy's Arch was built by Viceroy Francisco da Gama, the
grandson of Vasco da Gama. A statue of Vasco da Gama, resplendent in
his royal uniform, can be seen on top of the arch. Built of laterite
stone, the original arch collapsed in 1948 and it was subsequently
restored in 1954. Tradition has it that on taking office, all viceroys
made the procession under the arch where they would be given the
ceremonial key to the city and Goa.
hh - heritage hotel ; ph -
palace hotel ; bh - boutique hotel ; gh - guest house ; hs - home stay