Thanjavur was the ancient capital of the Chola Kings whose origins,
like those of the Pallavas, Pandyas and Cheras with whom they shared
the tips of the Indian Peninsula, go back to the beginning of the
Christian era. Power struggles between these groups were a constant
feature of their early history, with one or other gaining the
ascendancy at various times. The Cholas' turn for empire building came
between 850 to 1270 AD and, at the height of their power, they
controlled most of the Indian peninsula south of a line drawn between
Mumbai and Puri, including parts of Sri Lanka and, for a while,the Sri
vijaya Kingdom of the Malaya Peninsula and Sumatra. Probably the
greatest Chola Emperors were Raja Rajah, who was responsible for
building the Brahadeeshwara Temple, and his son Rajendra I (1014-44),
whose navy competed with the Arabs for control of the Indian Ocean
trade routes and who was responsible for bringing Sri Vijaya under the
Tiruchirapalli is the
nearest airport to Thanjavur with is well connected to many major
cities of India.
Station is well connected with Tiruchirapalli, Chennai and Nagpur.
Thanjavur has a good
network of roads to connect with all major cities in Tamil Nadu.
Thanjai Periya Koil
This temple is located about 1 Km distance from the Bus-stand. The
famous name of the temple is RajaRajesuram and the earlier history
says that the "Naimicharanya" hermits lived in the place where the
temple was erected. The speciality of this temple is that it has been
sculptured completely with stones without having the Mountain around
its surroundings. The tower of this temple is previously called as "
One Kilometer from the Temple is the vast palace built by Nayakas
around 1550 AD and partly by the Marathas.The total area of the palace
measures 10 acres. The fort of Thanjavur and maximum part of the
recent palace built by the Raghu Natha Nayakar and Vijaya Ragava
Nayakar. The palace has huge corridors, spacious halls, observational
and arsenal towers and shady court yards of this vast labyrinthine
building in the centre of the old town.
Saraswathi Mahal Library
The Saraswathi Mahal Library was started between the intervals of 1535
AD and 1673 for the Royals of Nayaka Mannars and the library was
expanded by the Maratha Mannars between 1673 AD and 1855. Specifically
during the kingdom of Saroboji II, thousands of books were got placed.
An Art gallery was started in 9-12-1951. The Art Gallery occupies the
Nayak Durbar Hall. It has a superb collection of Chola 250 bronze
statues and 150 stone statues from the 9th to 12th Centuries.
hh - heritage hotel ; ph -
palace hotel ; bh - boutique hotel ; gh - guest house ; hs - home stay